Heritage Photography Rediscovered
Think you've seen it all? We're about to flip your world on its head!
Surprise yourself with some of our rarest and endearing photographic treasures, shown in a new light.
An entertaining and interactive exhibition that highlights quirky and unexpected images from the Museum’s internationally recognised photo collection. Showcasing many previously unseen portraits of people, their furry friends, and places that cover nearly a century of photography in the region.
Visitors will be entertained by little known facts and stories behind wet plate photography: the people, the pets, and the process!
Did you know that…
- ... lots of people might only ever had a single photo of them taken in their entire life
- ... Facebook, Photoshop and memes were already a thing a 100 years ago?
- ... many people had good reasons never to Say Cheese?
- ... NZ's 'most badass photo' was shot right here in our backyard?
- ... a taxidermied chicken was a favourite prop used in the photo studio?
- ... our photography collection weighs well over 4 tonnes?
The exhibition will run from 17 August until 25 November 2018 at the Nelson Provincial Museum, 270 Trafalgar Street, Nelson.
Free of charge for Nelson Tasman residents and open daily from 10 am.