The work at the Library end of the Museum's Research Facility building in Isel Park involved objects stored in Library loft being relocated to other areas of the Research Facility. The loss of this storage space has resulted in significant re-arrangement of some sections of the Collection.
Beams, props and cross bracing have now been installed in store rooms and work areas at the other end of the building. This earthquake strengthening work necessitated large scale relocation and protection of collection objects. The bulk of these have been returned to their original location. This relocation has required finding spare storage space and the tracking of each object as it is moved between storage areas - a mammoth task for staff – both physically demanding and time consuming.
Following the installation of steel strengthening elements, staff have largely been able to reinstate their office and work spaces. Staff are also attending to the backlog of collection work, as well as research and reproduction enquiries, and exhibition development.
Opus International are now working with NCC on the finalising the Building Consent. The Fire Alarm system and emergency lighting have been updated as part of the consent, and with this update to the fire evacuation system new doors have been installed at the eastern end of the building. We have a Certificate of Public Use in place which will hold until mid-January when we re-open after the Christmas shutdown which starts just before Christmas.
During the last 9 months, even with limited access to the building and the collection, we have been able to assist some researchers with their projects. The Centenary of the Church Steps and the 75th Anniversary of the Nelson Airport are two cases in point. The value of having sections of our Photographic Collection available to us in digital form should not be under-estimated. Work has also continued at the Museum's off-site store required after the flood event of 21 April 2013.
The Research Facility building is now a stronger version of its previous self; the engineering is visible to the general public at the eastern end where the external props have been installed against the outside of the building. The conditions under which we care for the region’s heritage collection remain unchanged however relocating parts of the collection impacts on the amount of work and storage space available for staff, and the collection, as we move forward. Planning the future storage and protection of this nationally significant collection is a very important task facing Museum staff, the Trust Board, and our stakeholder Councils.
Peter Millward, CEO Tasman Bays Heritage Trust
Being the oldest museum in New Zealand, Nelson Provincial Museum has a long proud history. As the Museum has moved from one home to the next over the last 170 years it has become the guardian of a nationally significant Collection. For perhaps the last two decades a series of reports has addressed the issues of quality and quantity of available storage. The most recent report by OCTA Associates provided the Tasman Bays Heritage Trust with a recommended option to redevelop the Isel Park Research Facility. This option was presented to the Nelson City Council and Tasman District Council and was discussed at Council meetings. Collection storage has been included as a project in the next LTCCP Nelson City Council. The OCTA report and an update from the CEO, Peter Millward, can be downloaded here (PDF format). Further information or questions should be addressed to him in the first instance email@example.com
The Nelson Provincial Museum website is now the new home for the Early Settlers Database, formerly hosted by Nelson City Council.
You can search the Early Settlers Database to find information about your ancestors who arrived by sea in the years 1841 to 1850 to settle in the Nelson Region.
HMS New Zealand was gifted by the people of New Zealand to Great Britain and the Royal Navy in 1909 as our nation's contribution to the defence of the empire.
As part of that cruise HMS New Zealand visited Nelson for 2 days on the 8th and 9th of June 1913. The story of the tour, and the meritorious performance of the ship and its crew are documented in a display in the Museum's Trafalgar Street windows.
At our central city location, TA445, the Lower Gallery leads visitors through an exploration of Te Tau Ihu, top of the South Island from Tasman Bay to Golden Bay.Cnr Trafalgar and Hardy Sts, Nelson
This recently redeveloped exhibit, pictured above, portrays the amazing migration of the bar-tailed godwits and includes both a stuffed bird and a flying model.
The Nelson Provincial Museum is proud to bring you Collections Online the Museum's online public access catalogue.
This online catalogue lets you search over some of the many collection items held by the Museum.